With the release of my novel, Mending Fences this week, I thought it was appropriate to celebrate Amish romance by sharing this Amish wedding cake recipe. You cannot beat a wedding among the Amish to really get to the heart of Amish romance, can you? (Answer: nope). So enjoy this lovely recipe and be certain to email me at email@example.com with photo if you make it! I’d love to see the results!
This recipe was originally including in my novel Amish Circle Letters.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Combine the sugar, flour, milk, salt, dates, nut, vanilla and baking powder. Mix well to avoid lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and butter. Bring to boil.
- Pour brown sugar mixture (step 5) over batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve with whipped cream.
Sarah Price is the author of the Plain Fame series and the Amish of Ephrata series, among other books. She comes from a long line of devout Mennonites, and her writing reflects accurate and authentic stories based upon her own experiences with several Amish communities. Visit her at sarahpriceauthor.com and on Facebook.